Smithfield Town Asylum Report, 1870-71

Smithfield Town Asylum Report For 1870-71

This report was taken from the May, 1873, Town Treasurer’s Report. 

     Smithfield’s Town Asylum, a.k.a. “Poor Farm” stood on Douglas Pike where the southern entrance to the Fidelity Industrial Park is presently located.  It began operations in 1835, and was forced to close in 1871 due to allegations of mismanagement.   

Click on images to enlarge.

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲